Benefits of Membership
Being a member of NSCA has many benefits. As a school counselor, especially if you are in a rural area, being a member gives you a chance to network with other counselors for support and ideas. Here are many of the benefits of belonging to NSCA.
- Members receive 5 electronic newsletters a year with practical information related to working as a school counselor and information about current Nebraska school counseling news.
- Members receive discounted rates to all NSCA professional development offerings including the Annual School Counselor Academy in the fall and the Elementary School Counselor Conference in the spring.
- Membership provides the opportunity to network with other school counselors.
- Members can receive support in advocating for school counselors and comprehensive school counseling programs.
- Members are eligible to be nominated for the Nebraska School Counselor of Year.
- Members' administrators can be nominated for the NSCA Administrator of the Year.
- Members' students are eligible to apply for the NSCA Scholarships offered annually to high school seniors.
- According to Dr. Carolyne Stone, who is ASCA's ethics expert, if legal action is ever taken against you, membership to NSCA goes a long way towards showing your commitment to staying current professionallly.
- Members can receive input on ethical issues they face while practicing as a school counselor.